What if I get caught drinking and I'm under 21?

If you are under 21, you can be charged with Minor in Possession (MIP) if you consume or possess alcohol.  Even if you have no intent to drink alcohol or it’s not yours, if you have it in your possession or control, you can still be cited for MIP.  You may also be cited for an MIP if a police officer suspects you are intoxicated, even if you do not have alcohol with you.

MIPs are a stacking offense in Montana, meaning the consequences become more serious with each conviction. For a first offense, you can be sentenced to a fine, community service and be required to complete a substance abuse information course. If you receive a second or third MIP, you will face increased fines and your driver’s license may be suspended.

Will I get in trouble if I've been drinking, I'm under 21 and I call 911?